To Russia (And Back) With Love
Sunday, October 30, 2005
  The Great Chiquita Intervention
Disclaimer: Yes, I'm well aware of the obvious Freudian implications of this post. Rest assured that sometimes a banana is still just a banana.

The "Papa issue" reached a fever pitch on Friday. Zoe was particularly difficult all day, ignoring and refusing food from me as she had done all week (but accepting the same food when Sari handed it to her). She finally went down for a nap at 4 p.m., with nothing in her tummy since lunch.

We're still learning about Zoe's routines, but two things were pretty obvious to us while she napped. First, she would probably wake up around 8 p.m. Secondly, she would be pretty darn hungry. So we waited. And waited.

A little after 8, we heard the stirring coming from her room. Sari got her ready for dinner. And as Zoe started to lead Sari downstairs to the kitchen for dinner, Sari stopped her in our upstairs hallway and sat down with her. And I joined the intervention on the floor. With a banana.
Bananas are Zoe's favorite food, one she has never refused. One ripe Chiquita (flecked with brown, and having a golden hue) has served as her complete breakfast, lunch or dinner at various times over the last week. Tonight, it represented a lot more. If she wanted the banana, it would have to come from my hand. For a few minutes, I simply tried to hand her the fruit, and she refused to take it. Then things began to turn ugly.

The banana became my microphone, and after years of rehearsing for this moment in the privacy of my car, I suddenly had an audience, albeit a captive one. For the next 20 minutes, I serenaded the girls with my all-time Sinatra greatest hits medley, dangling the fruit ever closer under Zoe's nose with each doobie-doobie-doo. By the time I reached the "My Way" finale, I had peeled away the top quarter of the banana to enhance its scent and visual appeal. All in all, the intervention/concert took a half-hour, ending when Zoe finally yanked the banana from my hand like a bobby-soxer at the Paramount going for Frank's cufflinks.

Since the Great Chiquita Intervention, things have improved between Zoe and me. She doesn't refuse food from me as much just on principle. I've caught her smiling at me, but she quickly corrects herself when she realizes I've seen her. When I'm not in the room, she'll speak of me in glowing terms, point me out in photos, and ask about my whereabouts. I've even managed to get in a few pats on her back or head before she starts to cringe.

Things are looking up...
 
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home
Our Russian adoption adventure bringing home Zoe Elena, and the first year back home.

Name:
Location: United States
Click to chat using MSN Messenger
I am Online
Send me E-mail
ARCHIVES
September 2004 / October 2004 / November 2004 / January 2005 / February 2005 / March 2005 / April 2005 / May 2005 / June 2005 / July 2005 / August 2005 / September 2005 / October 2005 / November 2005 / December 2005 / January 2006 / February 2006 / March 2006 / April 2006 / May 2006 / June 2006 / July 2006 / September 2006 / July 2008 / August 2008 /


Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to my feed